The following is a report of the Douglas County Public Utility District Commission meeting that was held on January 15, 2001.
The Commissioners authorized the acceptance of a new 11,000-pound load capacity forklift to be used by the Districts distribution system. Mid-Columbia Forklift, Inc. of Wenatchee, Washington had been awarded the contract for the forklift at a cost of $43,055. Douglas PUD staff have inspected the new forklift and determined that all conditions of the contract have been satisfactorily fulfilled.
Douglas County PUD uses batteries to provide emergency power for protection and communication at the Wells Hydroelectric Project, East Wenatchee office, switchyards, substations, and microwave sites. Testing of the batteries that supply that emergency power is handled on a five-year interval. Testing and maintenance procedures require the use of specialized equipment and also provide staff training. The Commissioners authorized a call for bids to provide Douglas PUD with battery testing and maintenance.
The Commission also read letters of appreciation from two of seven recipients of grant money received from the Electric Utility Rural Economic Development Revolving Fund. Douglas PUD is able to receive a tax credit in the amount of $25,000 when it provides funding to rural communities for economical development purposes in the total amount of $50,000. At an earlier Board of Commissioners meeting with the Commissioners acting as the Board of the Electric Utility Rural Economic Development Revolving Fund, requests were received from various towns, entities, and jurisdictions. At that time, grants were approved as follows:
· Mansfield Volunteer Fire Department and Ambulance Service: $3,600 to upgrade an ambulance to meet DOH standards and purchase two portable radios
· Town of Waterville: $6,550 to build 600 feet of sidewalks
· Douglas County: $12,600 for new sidewalks, curbs, and gutters and additional visitor parking at the courthouse
· Douglas County Fire District No. 1: $6,700 for new communication equipment
· Douglas County Cemetery District No. 2: $1,000 to replace dangerous overhead door in the storage building
· Douglas County Parks and Recreation Department: $16,050 to repair and upgrade the locker room heating system at the pool facility
· City of Bridgeport: $3,500 to purchase pagers for ambulance emergency response.